How To Write A Dissertation In The MLA Format: 5 Points To Keep In Mind
If you are tasked with writing your dissertation there are many things that you need to keep in mind in order to produce a high quality final piece.
- Make sure you create a schedule from the moment you receive your dissertation and select your topic for approval. This schedule should include research and writing. During this time it is imperative that you write out the times things are due. If you are regularly meeting with your advisor on Wednesdays to submit chapters and you will receive those chapters back on Mondays, you should right into your schedule be Wednesday and Monday meetings. You want to set a goal for each day so that you know that every day you must write a specific amount of words or you must complete a specific amount of reading.
- It is imperative that you complete some form of task every day. This means that you have to Chip away regularly and in small pieces. This task is incredibly long and large and only by chipping away regularly will you be able to complete on time. One of the things that you can do is avoid stopping your self should creativity strike unless you have some scheduling conflicts. This means that if you have a daily goal of writing 500 words and one day creativity strikes and you produce 2000 words you should not stop yourself you should allow those 2000 words to flow out of you. The reason for this is that one day you will find that your schedule simply does not allow you to meet your goal or perhaps you are too tired and must focus your efforts on more mundane tasks such as formatting. During these times you will not be as stressed because you will have already produced excess work.
- Make sure to listen to your adviser. Advisor is there to help and should they provide you with any questions about the work you have produced or remarks on how to improve what you presented, you should take this into account as they know exactly what you're going through.
- Finally you want to make sure that you stay organized the entire time. This means that from the very beginning you set aside a separate document on your computer for bibliographic information.
- You want to make sure that you take a break. You are going to be incredibly busy during the course of your final years in academia and the only thing which can add to the stress of this is having to produce a top-notch dissertation.